Well, well, well….
Here I am in the last two weeks of Emerging Media class and I have 5 Twitter followers. No, make that 4 Twitter followers. Apparently the porn lady “unfollowed” me when she noticed I was not going to reciprocate and I follow Joel Osteen and Fox News…
I’ve not felt so unpopular since my date to the senior prom got drunk and did not bother to show up, leaving me with a sympathy picture with the prom queen’s date. At least he was good looking and the out-of-town relatives receiving photos had no idea he did not even come close to going to the prom with me.
Enough traumatic flashbacks. How in the heck does one generate Twitter followers? Facebook was easy. Stick a photo out there. Invite some “friends,” and voila – you have an online party.
Twitter…not so easy. So, I did what all smart blondes do, and I googled “how to increase Twitter following.” Some companies want to sell me tools to get followers. I’ve heard of buying friends, but buying followers? I don’t want them that badly…but I would probably stoop to a photo with the prom queen’s date again.
I found some good suggestions, but I’m not sure how well they will work for me. The CEO from Social Media Today provided 5 worthwhile tips. He suggested:
1) Don’t spam or sell. – No problem. I don’t have any addresses to spam nor merchandise to sell.
2) Be a resource. Social media is becoming the place to get news and info on favorite or most interesting topics. – No problem. If you want to know about Boomers blundering through learning about emerging media or peri-menopause…I’m your source!
3) Engage. Respond to tweets, questions, comments. – No problem. Obviously, I’m not shy.
4) Be active. The more active you are, the more you show up. – Okay…I need to work on this one. 7 Tweets, with two being about my fav things (my son and chocolate ice cream), does not qualify as active.:(
5) Be personal. Don’t be afraid to be transparent. – No problem! You know I was stood-up for my high school prom. Is that personal enough for you?
The Social Media Today guy had good tips, but still, I don’t have any followers. I was beginning to think I didn’t belong on Twitter, so I googled Twitter demographics in hopes that they would be different than the surprising avatar sex demographics I learned about on my flight to San Francisco last month. (See my “Brow Lift” post for details.)
Twitter demographics were a bit surprising as well. I learned I’m from the wrong city in the wrong country and have too much education to be an average twitter “twit,” or whatever the appropriate name for Twitter folk is… I need to move to Caracas, Venezuela, take a pay cut, and drop out of school. The good news is I’m the right age (turns out “twits” are middle-aged) and the right sex, as over 60% of “twits” are women. No gender change necessary. That’s a relief.
Hummmm… So what’s a gal to do to generate a Twitter following? Any suggestions?